Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Love( for once).

Line 17: You're a lover; borrow Cupid's wings, 
 And soar with them above a common bound.

Line 27: If love be rough with you, be rough with love;
Prick love for pricking, and you beat love down.

This is why I love Mercutio. I can relate to him. He is so very idealisitic and ridiculous, but on occasion he says something so profound, that it is undeniably the most brilliant thing you've heard all day.

This is why I love Romeo and Juliet.  We all know that feeling; like every force in the universe is against the one thing you want most. Like love is all there is left to hang on to in this world. Like we are a "star-crossed lover." You can see the impracticality of your actions, but you embrace the mix of fear and faith because it is forbidden.

This is why I love Shakespeare. Behind all the seemingly cliche' romance. There is a sense of practicality. He knew, as I know, that there is more truth in tradegy then in romantic comedy. However, when you mix the two there is something beautiful. Something real and raw and relatable. Shakespeare put his pain in words. Just like musicians put their pain to rhythm.

No comments:

Post a Comment